Thursday 20 September 2012

Bad silicone - again?!

It's probably my fault this time but this stuff is curing wayyyy to slow! I can't run my compressor at night so 8 hours curing max is my ideal limit. but I like to work fast and be able to re-make the molds quickly like I did with the Critter project. 1:10 curing agent ratio my balls! I did a little tester with 20% and it seems fine and cured in an hour like the product sheet said! There's 300g of expensive shit down the drain.

Ah well, when art and hard work marry, there is only Einsturzende Neubauten to keep the heart ticking:

1 comment:

  1. You seem to be running into a lot of problems with the silicone. I have NEVER had a problem with the silicone. Im more than curious. I would actually prefer slower curing silicone to fast setting as it provides better detail.

    I buy the small bottles of silicone. The one gallon pails are too expensive at one crack. The one thing I do is I dont shake the bottles as directed. But I stir them to put less air bubbles in it. I always make sure everything is mixed properly before adding the two compounds together. Thats the only thing I can think of. If you are making sure everything is mixed together properly and are hitting your mixing ratios properly, then I would switch manufacturers. Like I said, I have never had "bad silicone". Its not something I have ever had to deal with. The products I use are easy to use. Everything is a 1:1 ratio.

    ReplyDelete